Tuesday, May 19, 2009

WHITE RICE VERSUS BROWN RICE

I am trying to decide which is better to eat white rice or brown rice. I know all the benefits of whole grains and the fact that the vitamins are not processed out of them etc. The problem is if it does not get digested all the way, how is it better for you?
In Ayurevda they teach that white rice is superior because of the fact that it is easy on the system. Easy to digest and assimilate. It does not matter how good something is for you if your body does not assimilate it.
So not to be gross, but if you eat a big bowl of healthy brown rice and poop it all out whole, did it really do you any good? I don't think so.
Since moving to Costa Rica we have been eating pre-cooked white rice because it is the healthiest white rice available. It has a good flavor and actually digests. I will certainly continue researching this as I did bring back some really tasty Basmati brown rice from the states. It sure tastes good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am assuming that you are all just pooping out this good brown rice that you brought from the states? I am glad that you did not mention that part lol