Monday, September 28, 2009

GARDEN TIME

Today I decided it was time to put in a garden. We had a little plot, but I decided to turn the rest of the backyard into a garden. It is not a very big backyard and I have lots of food I want to try and grow here in Costa Rica and see how it does.

I believe the biggest problem will come in the form of crawly things. The bugs will surely give me a run for my money, as the cutter ants have already proven. They can clean out a whole plant in one day, or night.

I am planning on tomatoes, squash, onions, garlic, peppers, and potatoes. Of course I also have to plant some watermelons and strawberries for the baby. That should about fill up the whole backyard, we will see.

Another problem here is the birds. Even though we have a closed in backyard the birdies fly in through the rails and will demolish any seedlings. I am thinking about using mosquito nets to cover the baby plants to protect them from the birds, I will see about that also.

All in all we will have to see how gardening in Costa Rica goes.

No comments: