Wednesday, January 7, 2009

LIFE

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? (Mary Oliver)

This quote really gets me motivated and thinking about my life. Am I really doing what I want to do? Am I really "singing the song" I was sent here to sing? Maybe it is just my age, or maybe it is just hormones talking but these are definately questions that bear asking.

Two years ago when we cut the ties and went out on our own we felt very powerful and alive. I think it was a case of ignorance was bliss or something like that. After the realities began settling in about advertisement costs, the economy tumbling, etc. with owning your own business it was a little harder to feel quite so powerful and alive.

Lots of times in the last two years there has actually been sheer terror. When you have been employed by the government for 30 years and go out on your own there is the feeling of free falling. When you live in the States you can always rely on unemployment, the soup kitchen, or last resort door keeper at Walmart.

Living in Central America has forced us to really be creative and call on our talents and skills and even develop some new ones. When we started our massage school I did not know the first thing about computers, that one has come a very long way. We have also had to learn to deal with all sorts of people from different of walks of life all over the world.

Looking back on it as we begin our first multi student class this Monday I have to ask myself, would I do it all again? You better believe it because I fully plan to slide in laughing and screaming, " wow what a ride" when it is all over!

No comments: