Monday, February 16, 2009

THE GREAT DEPRESSION ?

Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression by Studs Terkel is a book of the strength of people. It also makes you wonder how they can compare the current economic conditions to the great depression. Quotes from the book like the following are truly motivational for me, and hopefully for you.

“I was relieved when the Crash came. I was released…I became me, I became alive. Other people didn’t see it that way. They were throwing themselves out of windows. Someone who lost money found that his life was gone. When I lost my possessions, I found my creativity…

We thought American business was the Rock of Gibraltar. We were the prosperous nation, and nothing could stop us now…There was a feeling of continuity. If you made it, it was there forever. Suddenly the big dream exploded. The impact was unbelievable.”

“Here were all these people living in old, rusted-out car bodies. I mean that was their home. There were people living in shacks made of orange crates. One family with a whole lot of kids were living in a piano box. This wasn’t just a little section, this was maybe ten-miles wide and ten-miles long. People were living in whatever they could junk together.”

No comments: